Semi trucks, also known as 18-wheelers or big rigs, are large, heavy duty trucks that transport goods across the country. While semi trucks are vital for the economy, they also pose serious dangers on the road due to their size and weight. Semi truck accidents often result in catastrophic injuries and deaths. If you or a loved one has been involved in a semi truck accident, contacting an experienced semi truck accident lawyer can help you understand your legal options and fight for maximum compensation.
Common Causes of Semi Truck Accidents
There are many factors that contribute to semi truck accidents, including:
- Driver fatigue – Truck drivers are often under intense pressure to meet tight delivery deadlines, causing them to forego sleep and drive while excessively tired. Drowsy driving dramatically increases accident risk.
- Speeding – Semi trucks require much longer stopping distances than passenger vehicles. Speeding reduces a truck driver’s ability to slow down in time.
- Drug or alcohol impairment – Truck drivers sometimes operate vehicles under the influence, leading to delayed reaction times and poor decision making.
- Improper loading – Improperly loaded or overloaded semi trailers can cause shifting cargo, unbalanced weight distribution, and truck rollovers.
- Equipment failure – Worn tires, defective brakes, and other mechanical problems can cause trucks to lose control.
- Distracted driving – Actions like texting, eating, or adjusting the radio divert attention from the road.
- Reckless maneuvering – Unsafe lane changes, following too closely, and other errors in judgement lead to collisions.
Common Semi Truck Accident Injuries
Due to their massive size and weight, semi trucks often inflict traumatic, catastrophic, or fatal injuries:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Severe burns
- Spinal cord injuries, paralysis
- Crush injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Broken bones
- Psychological trauma
Accident survivors may face long term physical disabilities, emotional distress, expensive medical bills, lost income, and reduced quality of life.
Why Hire a Semi Truck Accident Lawyer?
A semi truck accident lawyer can fully investigate your case, build the strongest argument for compensation, and advocate on your behalf. Specifically, an attorney can:
- Inspect and photograph accident scenes, vehicles, and property damage
- Obtain and preserve crash reports, witness statements, log books, maintenance records, and other evidence
- Consult with medical experts to understand injury details and long term prognosis
- Calculate past and future accident costs related to medical treatment, lost wages, pain and suffering
- Negotiate assertively with insurance companies
- Take legal action if a fair settlement is not reached
Experienced truck accident lawyers have successfully handled hundreds of similar cases, equipping them with the expertise to prove liability, determine fault, and maximize compensation for clients. They have the savvy, resources and aggression to stand up to trucking companies and insurers.
Financial Compensation in Semi Truck Accident Claims
If you are injured by a negligent truck driver, you may be entitled to several forms of monetary compensation, including:
- Medical expenses from hospitalization, surgery, rehabilitation and long term care
- Lost income from missed work due to recovery time
- Property damage to your vehicle or other possessions
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life due to disability or disfigurement
- Loss of companionship or consortium if a family member was killed
- Punitive damages in cases of gross negligence or recklessness
A seasoned truck accident attorney can calculate and fight for full and fair compensation in your personal injury claim.
FAQ about Semi Truck Accident Lawsuits
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about semi truck accident lawsuits:
How long do I have to file a truck accident claim?
The statute of limitations for filing a truck accident lawsuit ranges from 1 – 6 years depending on the state. Consult a local attorney about deadlines.
What truck driver errors typically cause accidents?
Driver fatigue, intoxication, distraction, speeding, and disregard of safety regulations are common trucker errors leading to wrecks.
What trucking companies may be liable for my damages?
The truck driver, truck owner, shipping company, load owner, truck manufacturer or component maker, or truck maintenance company could share responsibility.
Can I still recover damages if I were partly at fault?
Most states follow comparative negligence rules, allowing injury victims to recover reduced damages based on percentages of fault.
How much does hiring a truck accident attorney cost?
Most lawyers handle truck injury cases on a contingency fee basis, charging around 30% of the final settlement or award.
Take Legal Action after a Semi Truck Accident
Don’t delay in seeking experienced legal representation after a catastrophic truck collision. A qualified attorney can immediately launch an investigation, preserve critical evidence, identify all liable parties, and build a strong claim to recover the maximum compensation you deserve. With knowledgeable legal counsel, you can make the negligent truck driver, trucking company, and any other responsible entities pay for the harm they have caused. Consider contacting a dedicated semi truck accident lawyer today to discuss your situation and legal options.