Tractor trailer accidents can result in catastrophic injuries and even death. The size and weight of commercial trucks means that when they collide with smaller passenger vehicles, the occupants of the cars often suffer severe consequences. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident with a tractor trailer, contacting an experienced tractor trailer accident lawyer can help you seek maximum compensation for your injuries.
Common Causes of Tractor Trailer Accidents
There are many factors that can contribute to the high rate of truck accidents on US roads and highways. Some of the most common causes include:
- Truck driver fatigue – Truckers often drive long hours with little rest between shifts. Drowsy driving impairs reaction times and judgment.
- Speeding – Trucks going over the speed limit need longer stopping distances. Excess speed increases the force of impact when a crash occurs.
- Improper loading – Improperly loaded or overloaded trailers can cause the truck to overturn. Unbalanced weight distribution also affects handling.
- Poor truck maintenance – Lack of maintenance leads to tire blowouts, brake failure, and other mechanical problems.
- Driver inexperience – Inexperienced truck drivers may not handle the size and weight of a tractor trailer properly.
- Impaired driving – Drug or alcohol use reduces driver alertness and coordination.
Why You Need an Experienced Lawyer
After a serious truck accident, consulting a qualified tractor trailer accidents lawyer should be a top priority. An attorney can help in the following ways:
- Investigate all factors that may have caused the crash, such as truck maintenance records, driver log books, and weather conditions.
- Determine all liable parties – the driver, trucking company, parts manufacturers, cargo loaders, etc.
- File claims for compensation from multiple insurance policies that may apply.
- Handle negotiations with insurance companies to fight for the maximum settlement.
- Be prepared to take the case to court if fair compensation is not offered.
An experienced lawyer has the resources and trucking industry expertise to build the strongest case possible. They look out for your best interests every step of the way.
Types of Compensation You May Receive
With a skilled lawyer on your side, you can seek full compensation for all accident-related losses. Some of the damages you may recover include:
- Medical expenses, both current and future treatment
- Lost income and reduced earning capacity
- Property damage, like loss of your vehicle
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium for your spouse
- Wrongful death damages if a loved one is killed
Your lawyer can fight to get coverage of all past, current and future costs related to the truck crash. Full and fair compensation can help you move forward after a devastating accident.
FAQs About Tractor Trailer Accidents Lawyers
How much does hiring a truck accident lawyer cost? Reputable personal injury attorneys work on contingency fee basis, meaning legal fees come out of any settlement or court award, not paid upfront. If there is no recovery, you owe nothing.
When should I get a lawyer after a truck accident? Contact a qualified tractor trailer accident attorney as soon as possible after the crash, while evidence is fresh. Prompt investigation helps build a stronger claim.
Can I still get a settlement without a lawyer?
You can try to negotiate with the insurance company yourself, but they will offer the minimum they can. Experienced lawyers have the negotiating skills and resources to maximize your compensation.
How are truck accident cases different from car accidents? Crashes with tractor trailers often involve more complex legal issues, multiple liable parties, specialized industry knowledge and aggressive opposition from insurers. Experienced trucking lawyers know how to handle these challenges.
Take Action After a Truck Accident
Tractor trailer crashes can leave accident victims and families facing devastating injuries, grief and financial hardship. An experienced lawyer can stand up for your rights and pursue the maximum compensation you deserve. Contact a qualified tractor trailer accidents attorney today to schedule a free consultation and get answers about your legal options after a trucking collision. With compassionate and aggressive legal representation, you can emerge from this challenging time stronger than before.