Texas has one of the highest rates of truck accidents in the United States. With over 260,000 trucking companies based in the state, accidents involving large commercial trucks are an unfortunate common occurrence on Texas roads and highways. If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, contacting an experienced truck accident lawyer in Texas can help you understand your options and fight for maximum compensation.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Texas
There are many factors that contribute to the high rate of truck accidents in the state. Some of the most common causes include:
- Driver fatigue or falling asleep at the wheel – Truck drivers often work long hours and may not get adequate rest. Drowsy driving can lead to slowed reaction times and impaired judgment.
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions – Trucks require much longer stopping distances than passenger vehicles. Excessive speeding greatly increases the risks.
- Improper loading or overloaded trucks – An overloaded or unevenly distributed load can cause rollovers or jackknife accidents.
- Poor truck maintenance – Lack of proper maintenance leads to tire blowouts, brake failure, and other mechanical problems.
- Distracted driving – Truck drivers engaging in distracted driving by texting, eating, or operating navigation can substantially increase accident risks.
- Drug and alcohol use – Impaired truck drivers pose a serious public safety hazard.
How a Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
If you have suffered injuries and other losses in a truck accident caused by a negligent truck driver or trucking company, a truck accident attorney can provide invaluable help with:
- Investigating the accident – Gathering police reports, physical evidence, videotapes, eyewitness statements, and other information vital to building a strong case.
- Dealing with insurance companies – Trucking companies often work aggressively to deny or limit claims. Lawyers know how to effectively negotiate for full and fair compensation.
- Filing a lawsuit – If a satisfactory settlement cannot be reached, lawyers can file a truck accident lawsuit to take the case to court.
- Handling complex legal issues – Truck accident cases involve state and federal regulations, insurance coverage, liability disputes, and other complex legal matters that require extensive expertise.
- Calling on experts – Accident reconstructionists, medical experts, economists, and other specialists may be needed to prove damages and establish liability.
- Taking the case to trial – Lawyers have the courtroom litigation skills necessary if a trial becomes necessary.
Types of Compensation Available
An experienced truck accident lawyer can help victims recover all available compensation, which may include:
- Medical expenses – Both current and future expenses related to accident injuries.
- Lost wages – If injuries prevent working either temporarily or permanently.
- Loss of earning capacity – Diminished ability to earn wages over the long-term due to disabilities.
- Property damage – Repairs or replacement of damaged or destroyed vehicle and other property.
- Pain and suffering – Monetary damages for physical pain caused by injuries.
- Disability and disfigurement – Compensation if injuries result in permanent disability or scarring.
- Wrongful death – Damages that may be sought by surviving family members when accidents cause death.
- Punitive damages – In cases of gross negligence or recklessness, punitive damages meant to punish the defendant may be awarded.
Choosing the Right Truck Accident Lawyer in Texas
It is critical to choose an attorney with a proven track record of success in truck accident cases, such as:
- Years of relevant experience with trucking laws and previous case victories
- Good standing and reputation with the State Bar of Texas
- Strong financial resources to invest in your case if needed
- Focus in truck accident law rather than general personal injury law
- Ability to thoroughly investigate what happened
- Courtroom skills, comfort taking cases to trial
- Commitment to keeping clients informed and managing expectations
Don’t take any chances with the outcome of your truck accident injury claim. Partner with a top truck accident attorney in Texas for the best opportunity to maximize your compensation and get the justice you deserve.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do after being involved in a truck accident?
Stay at the scene, notify police to file an accident report, seek any necessary medical care, document the accident with photos/video if able, exchange information with all parties involved, and contact a truck accident attorney for advice and representation.
How soon after an accident should I hire a lawyer?
You should consult with a qualified truck accident attorney as soon as possible, as there are steps that need to be taken promptly to preserve evidence and protect your rights. Do not provide any statements to insurance companies until you have legal representation.
How much does it cost to hire a truck accident attorney?
Most work on a contingent fee basis, meaning there are no upfront costs and the lawyer receives an agreed-upon percentage of any settlement or award secured for the client.
How long do I have to file a truck accident lawsuit in Texas?
Under the statute of limitations in Texas, you normally have two years from the date of injury to file a truck accident lawsuit. An attorney can evaluate your specific case timeline.
Can I still recover damages if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Yes, Texas follows modified comparative negligence rules. You may recover reduced compensation if found less than 50% at fault. An attorney can advise if you still have a viable case.
What if the truck driver does not have sufficient insurance coverage?
Experienced attorneys know how to access multiple insurance policies that may be applicable in commercial trucking accidents, including your own policy’s underinsured/uninsured coverage. Ground for legal action against the trucking company itself may also exist.